Thursday, July 10, 2008

clenched teeth

"Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked shall I return.
The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away;
blessed be the name of the LORD." (Job 1:21)

These words had to be some of the hardest Job ever uttered in his life. I can't imagine the hurt, pain, grief, and loss he was feeling in this moment. Yet even in the midst of such tragedy he was fiercely determined to praise God anyway. I wonder if he made this statement of praise through clenched teeth. I wonder if the tears were streaming down his face as he did the only thing he knew to do. Praise God. I wonder if he told God..."This hurts really bad...but I am making a choice to praise you anyway." What are you choosing to do with your words today?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The thing about Job that has amazed me recently is that he didn't know about the behind the scenes conversation between God and Satan....and as a result, he believed that GOD was the one taking it all away ("the Lord giveth, the Lord taketh away....", and "though He slay me, yet shall I live...") That blew my mind when I realized that!! What faith! Even through clenched teeth. :)