Thursday, July 17, 2008

2 funerals

Today I will be walking two families through two funerals for their loved ones. Funerals are rarely if ever considered something fun to experience. As a pastor it is a priviledge to remind everyone that even in the face of death God's presence is real and His peace is beyond comprehension. However, before this day gets rolling...in both ceremonies I will be using Psalm 23 as one of the passages of scripture.

Psalm 23
The LORD Is My Shepherd
A Psalm of David.

1The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2He makes me lie down in green pastures.He leads me beside still waters.
3He restores my soul.He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
4Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
5You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

What I'm reminded of though is that while this is a familiar passage at funerals this Psalm is very much for the living. Here's my challenge today...read Psalm 23 and ask God what He is trying to tell you about living through today with Him. Let me know what He tells you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You did a great job, God is really using you. Thanks!