Monday, September 17, 2007

Worship

Sorry I haven't written in a little while. Last week was an adventure of illness. To get Allison's view point click over to her blog. I am better now and almost up to full strength.

Yesterday we celebrated "Youth Sunday" and the kids did a great job with the service. There was drama, new songs, a great message, and variety in the service. This coming Sunday frightens me. Here is why. I know once some people see the big, monster-sized pulpit back in the middle of the stage they will be relieved. I also know that when we sing more than one hymn in the service some will feel comforted. I also know that when some see the drums off the stage there will be a sense of thankfulness and curiosity as to how long they will be gone.

What frightens me about all of these things is you could change pulpit for drums, hymns for chorus', and again drums for pulpit respectfully and get similar reactions from a whole different group of people.

It really doesn't matter what the object is. The focus is not worship. Some may try to explain that it is about worship but it's not. Worship is more than something tangible. Worship is more than songs. Worship is more than actions. Worship is more than Sunday morning service.

Your worship looks different than mine because your relationship with God is different than mine. Our worship is not dependant on things. Our worship is dependant on our relationship. That is why this Sunday I am going to preach using the monster-sized pulpit that is difficult to use and hard to get around. Even though it's not ideal for me it will not keep me from the whole reason I will be in the church building with the church family on Sunday morning.

WORSHIP.

2 comments:

Heather said...

this is beyond the point, but are you happy to know you have 9 readers (since I didn't do the poll:)...someone cares;)

ScottD said...

I don't know about the pulpit but just make sure the screen is up so I can see the cross when I worship! (just kidding).
I agree. I think we lose focus on the object of our worship-God-and get caught up in the peripherals. Since worship should occur everywhere, I guess even the church building would be a peripheral.