Saturday, September 01, 2007

Question

"What do you dream of when you dream about the church?" I found this question on a friend's blog recently and it bothers me...mostly because it is a great question. This question challenges me to step out of the comfort of laziness. As much as I try to encourage others to dream and imagine I hate it when I realize there are things that I should be dreaming of more often. Before I can answer this question I first have to ask if I'm dreaming at all.
Do I even challenge my imagination to grow and think big?
Then, am I dreaming about the church or is the church merely my job?
Do I have dreams about the church or am I too caught up in "fixing" things that I view as wrong?
Do I envision positive realities for the church or am I busy critiquing those who critique me?
Before I can begin to answer this question I have to relearn the ability to dream.
Let me try.

What do I dream about when I dream about the church?
I dream of a coffee cart rolling through the sanctuary during the service.
I dream of every person made to feel like we've been waiting for them to get there whether it's their first time or 378th time.
I dream of every child feeling special and loved.
I dream of every adult feeling special and loved.
I dream of toe tapping music that gets stuck in your head.
I dream of friends not just friendly people.
I dream of unity in the midst of diversity.
I dream of a group of people who are not afraid to say "I don't know."
I dream of a group of people who are not afraid to be wrong.
I dream of a group of people who just want to know Jesus and each other better.
I dream of worship that is from and through the heart.
I dream of realness.
I dream of forgiveness.
I dream of second chances.
I dream of vulnerability that leads to courage.
I dream of noise.
I dream of silence.
I dream of expressive praise.
I dream of muffins.
I dream of smiles.
I dream of laughter.
I dream of tears.
I dream of board meetings that are filled with testimony of what God is doing in, around, and through lives.
I dream of love.
I dream of hard core love.
I dream of "no matter what" love.
I dream of God's love.
Maybe I am learning to dream again.
thanks Megan

3 comments:

megan said...

okay, so that made me cry... ;)

praying for you guys. wishing we were closer but knowing we are right where we need to be.

Anonymous said...

I like your vision for church - but we both know how picky I can be about such things... I think I'll just copy your dream, call it my own, and wrap it with a simple AMEN.
Love you brother.
with prayers,
Barb

Anonymous said...

You made me cry!

I dream many of the same dreams (minus the coffee and muffins). I dream love is real and people care, but then I wake up and the world is still here and it is still harsh and cold. I dream I belong and that maybe I make a difference to someone, but then I realize I don't.

Then I pray. I pray for Christ's soon return and the dream he has already woven for us in heaven. The one place we will all feel loved, complete and know without a shadow of a doubt that we belong.