Monday, June 23, 2008

Tony Morgan makes me think

What follows are some questions that I came across on Tony Morgan's blog. I don't think the idea is to do away with promotions. After all, most churches haven't even mastered that. We are still trying to figure out the best way to communicate what we have to offer others. However, while we are doing this the following questions should also be asked. If we are not willing to ask these then what questions should we ask?

"In hierarchy-thinking, we’re concerned about telling people about our men’s ministry or women’s ministry or small group ministry. We’re in promotions mode. We’re trying to promote programs rather than addressing the question people are asking. The person that comes through the front door just wants to know how can I meet other people?

In hierarchy-thinking, we want to tell people about our Bible studies and discipleship classes. The person that comes through the front door just wants to know is Jesus who he says he is and why does that matter to my life?

In hierarchy-thinking, we think people want to know our agenda and how we’re set up (leadership, denominations, structure, etc.) to fulfill that agenda. The person who walks through the front door just wants to figure out do I fit here, and, if so, what’s my next step?" (tonymorganlive.com)

No comments: