Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Promise-Advent #4

The Promise

Luke 2:25-33 (English Standard Version)
25Now there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon, and this man was righteous and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him. 26And it had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not see death before he had seen the Lord’s Christ. 27And he came in the Spirit into the temple, and when the parents brought in the child Jesus, to do for him according to the custom of the Law, 28he took him up in his arms and blessed God and said, 29"Lord, now you are letting your servant depart in peace, according to your word;30for my eyes have seen your salvation 31 that you have prepared in the presence of all peoples,32 a light for revelation to the Gentiles, and for glory to your people Israel."
33And his father and his mother marveled at what was said about him.

Devotion
God is the keeper of His promises. If God says it then it must be true. It may be hard for some people to wrap their minds around those statements. After many disappointments in life it becomes easy to not trust anyone. Broken promises can harden our hearts towards people and even toward God.
Simeon lived a long time with only a promise to hang on to. The promise was he would one day see with his own eyes the salvation of the Lord. We don’t know how long he waited but we do know that eventually God fulfilled His promise.
No matter what anyone else says, we serve a perfect, all-knowing, faithful God. He always keeps His promises. He always has and He always will. He is not like anyone else.
Jesus said, “I am with you always.”
Jesus said, “Yes, I am coming quickly.”
This advent season we celebrate a God who refuses to leave us by ourselves and who promises that one day we will see Him face to face. We can believe these promises and because of this we can celebrate with hope, joy, peace, and love.
Let us listen to the promises of Jesus this season and know they are true.

Prayer:
Dear Father, Help me to be like Simeon, a person who is so excited about seeing you that no matter how long it takes for You to return, I can wait with a sense of eager anticipation. I pray that You will help me to wait in such a way that I don't ever become ho-hum, callused, or just give lip service to Your return. I also pray that You will use me as you did Simeon, to be an example to others. I ask that You give me the desire to be a "righteous" and "devout" person, and that others will recognize those qualities, benefit by my actions, and as a result come to a saving knowledge of Your Son, Jesus. Father, I thank You for Your faithfulness, Your promises, for loving me unconditionally, and always being with me. Help me to be a "light" for You as I eagerly wait for Your return.

In Jesus Name,
Amen.
(prayer written by Rev. Jim Crouse)

No comments: