Thursday, August 06, 2009

pastors/leaders

Acts 20:28 hit me square in the face today.

"Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God, which he obtained with his own blood."

I think most pastors can agree that paying attention to the flock seems pretty simple. After all, that's really what the job is all about right? It was that first part of the verse that grabbed me.
"Pay careful attention to yourselves..."

That led me to ask several questions that I think are productive questions for every pastor and leader to ask themselves from time to time.

  1. How am I doing spiritually? Am I spending intentional time with God and His word outside of sermon/lesson preparation? God has led me this year to systematically reading through the Bible and it is one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had as a believer. Am I being intentional about my prayer life? God is showing me the value of praying His scriptures. Wow! Now there is power!

  2. How am I doing physically? Am I exercising? Am I eating healthy? Am I sleeping? I'm not the best at any of these areas. Actually, I even had a delicious bowl of cookie dough ice cream last night and did not feel bad about it at all. But am I consistently making healthy choices for myself or is that bowl of ice cream the most consistent part of my diet. Also, God has really pressed on my mind the need for a sabbath. Without proper rest we are not proper administrators of grace.

  3. How's my family? I love my family soooo much. If something is not right at home it affects everything else in my life. Am I communicating love towards my wife? Am I available to my kids (both physically and mentally)?

  4. How's my attitude? What is the state of my mental health? Am I more positive or more negative? Am I focused on spiritual things? Am I more concerned with what God wants or what anyone else wants (including myself)? Am I more irritable than calm? Do I have a sense of hope? Positivity is an intentional thing. I really don't think it just happens.

  5. How are my relationships? Am I helping the people around me live out a Great Commission/Great Commandment life? Are they helping me in the same way? Putting God's purposes into every relationship really puts things in perspective.

I don't write all of this as if I have it all down. I write it to say these are things that God is putting on my mind. If I'm not checking my own health in these things then am I really being the most effective minister of the gospel that I can be? I pray that these thing may help you as well.

No comments: