Monday, October 29, 2007

Money and Sex

Yesterday's service went well. Recently it hit me that while couples may fight about sex and money those are two topics we hear so little about at church. I know we tend to address these things in the contexts of other "broader" issues like stewardship, relationships, or something else. However, the question in my head lately is "why". Why not hit these topics head on? What does the B-I-B-L-E say about sex and money? Yesterday we tackled money head on. We not only hit the well known passages like "give to Caesar what is Caesar's...etc" but also passages where Jesus tells the pharisees what He thinks about their tithing but forgetting things like justice and faithfulness. Now I think I've started something with this "head's on" approach. I guess I better get to work on the "sex" sermon next.

5 comments:

Heather said...

I so want to hear the sex sermon...send me notes:) Or just publish it on your blog instead:).

Anonymous said...

Pastor Chris.. for all intents and purposes I have to pay my wife for sex.... (chocolate, gifts, cars, houses)...

Is that wrong?

Stephanie's husband

Anonymous said...

I would love to hear a sermon titled "Dirty Sexy Money". In fact I would even pay to sit there for the whole hour.

Anonymous said...

I think these are huge issues that not only face couples, but the single population as well. Yes, the Bible does have guidance on these issues and I think it is about time that church leadership speaks up on these issues and guide their flock in these matters. Way to go! I too hope you make your notes public.

Anonymous said...

Chris:

Kudos for taking on what is possible the least talked about subject in the Church! If our people don't hear what the Bible teaches about sex from Church, where else will they hear it?

The comment was made "I have to pay my wife for sex...(chocolate, gifts, cars...)" I'd LOVE to hear your response! I'll weigh in with mine on that in a few days.

Keep up the good work!