Thursday, September 04, 2008

gulp!

I keep running into scriptures and situations lately that seem to be pointing to one thing. BE the church always. There are so many who keep thinking that one day they will "get back in church". Some think I need to get my family back in church. This whole idea should motivate some of us to BE the church all the time. If we are walking in unity with other believers wouldn't this be a light shining bright that brings glory to God Himself?

As one of my neighbors sat in my living room the other night sharing his struggles and his desire to "get back in church" this thought hit me. This moment right now may be the ONLY church service he makes it to! WOW! Talk about realizing the power of a moment. I didn't have the perfect things to say to him. I didn't have great counseling advice. I didn't really know what to say in response to his sharing. I did, however, find myself in a position of putting my money where my mouth is.

For years I've taught and preached that there is never a bad time to praise/worship God. So that's what we did. Before he left we prayed together and worshiped God together. Instead of waiting for my neighbor to show up on a Sunday morning we sat right there in my living room and praised God even in the midst of struggles.

Galatians 5:6 says, "The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love."
That's not just a Sunday morning thing or a Wednesday night thing but an anytime and every time thing...even on a Monday evening.

That's my encouragement for anyone who is reading this right now...don't wait for your friends and neighbors to show up at church...go and be the church today in some way where you are.

No comments: