Thursday, April 24, 2008

Family

Today I am struck from all sides by the importance of family. It started this morning when my wife reminded me that tomorrow is going to be a fun "family" day. We have both intentionally blocked out tomorrow so that we can all do something together as a family. Then on my way to the office I left messages for two people out in the mid-west that we consider to be a part of our "family". I was then working on my sermon for Sunday and received a phone call from a friend letting me know that they will not make it to Bible study tonight because they have had a crazy week and need to spend some "family" time together.

There are so many families that are satisfied with just cruising along and slowly drift away from each other. It is encouraging to see families that are making intentional moves towards each other. It's not always easy and I know I'm not always the best at it but having a family is so special we all need to constantly ask ourselves..."what moves am I making towards my family?" How many, different, way have I told my spouse I love her/him? How many times has my child/children had my undivided attention lately?

I am constantly trying my best to improve as a pastor. I am always trying to learn new things. I always want to grow as a leader and a pastor. But if my family crumbles then ministry will instantly seem very empty. Please pray for your family and mine that we will all be intentional about building strong families.

No comments: