Thursday, November 02, 2006

whole life

The following is an article I wrote for our church news letter this month.

“I am learning from Jesus how to lead my life, my whole life, my real life. My discipleship Jesus is, within clearly definable limits, not a matter of what I do, but of how I do it. And it covers everything, ‘religious’ or not.”-Dallas Willard

Recently, we have discovered there is never a bad time to praise the Lord. Through ups and downs God is still God and is always worthy of all praise. As I was pondering this notion I came across the above quote from Dallas Willard. It reminded me that life itself is a gift of God. It is God’s breath. He gave it and we should treasure it. How do we treasure it? It will look a little different for each person. Some may devote their time and energy to preaching. Some may use this life to teach children. Some may pour all of their energy into communicating through multi-media sources. Others may work the land to grow food. While these are all noble causes they only take on eternal characteristics when done for God’s glory and by His grace and power.

How do you spend your days? Being a disciple of Jesus is a life-long learning process. As He leads us through each day we begin to discover who He really is and who He is making us to be. Not who others say we are but who He says we are. He chose his apostles from several different professions and backgrounds. He wants you to not just believe in Him but to be His life-long disciple learning what life in Him is all about.

Let’s be intentional today about following Jesus and allowing Him to teach us what life really is all about.

1 comment:

Allison said...

Have I told you today that I love you?...because I do. :)