Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Miss USA

So this morning on the news I heard a report about the Miss USA pageant that caught my attention. *insert wisecrack here* Apparently, Miss California was given a question about gay marriage. She answered that she believed marriage should be between one man and one woman. She went on to finish second in the pageant. Here's the interesting part. The judge that asked the question said she should have given a more "middle of the road" answer. His argument was that as "Miss USA" she would represent "all" Americans and therefore should have given an answer that would not have alienated anyone. Her personal opinion was what, he thought, cost her the title.

Now I'm not trying to make some big statement on gay marriage this morning but here is my question.

How in the world are you ever going to answer a question without offending someone, somewhere, somehow????
She was asked for her opinion. She gave it. Now she is criticized for giving the opinion she was asked for. How twisted is that?

Seriously! I could just walk across a room and someone might be offended by something I wear. People make choices everyday and sometimes we choose to be offended whether the offense was intentional or not. I say stand up for sanity and choose to NOT be easily offended today.

It'll make your life a lot less stressful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen....Amen....and again I say Amen!