Tuesday, October 24, 2006

30 minutes

Thirty minutes. That’s how long it took us to realize that no one was watching the television. Allison and Natalie were curled up with story of Dumbo. I was on the couch enjoying the musings of Steven James. While words were jumping off each page flashy images were doing their best to interrupt our readings. It really is amazing that it took us 30 minutes to realize that the two most interesting things on TV this evening were “The O’Reilly Factor” and “Dancing with the Stars.” I couldn’t even wait for game 3 of the World Series to begin. I had to turn it off. So in one swift, radical move I turned the flashing images off. Silence. Peace. This is nice. I can actually hear myself think. I am realizing that my thoughts are tired of competing with so much outside noise coming from the TV, Radio, CD Player, etc. Right now I’m listening to Allison and Natalie have a conversation. Even though Natalie’s cooing and aaahhhs are unintelligible words the conversation is fascinating still. She apparently has much to say for a three and a half month old. There is definitely nothing this entertaining on TV right now.

1 comment:

megan said...

Yay!
Please keep writing! It makes me feel a bit more connected to our long distance friends. Give your wife a hug for me.